Tuesday, November 07, 2006

As if the fire needs any fuel

I opened my daily free paper, skimming all the contents before landing on the crossword puzzle, as I do every weekday morning. This caught my eye:

Vacay = baby

Miami- A vacation made Lucinda Hughes sick. Hughes is sick every morning and expecting her first baby in April.
She got pregnant after she and her husband went on a three-day Procreation Vacation at a resort on the Grand Bahama Island.
It's part of a trend in which hotels around the world are luring couples who are trying to have a baby. Resorts are offering on-site sex doctors, romantic advice and exotic food and drink calculated to put lovers in the mood.
Even some obstetricians are promoting the trend. Dr. Jason James of Miami said he often encourages couples trying to have a baby to sneak away for a few days, and he often sees it work.
"One of the most easy, therapeutic interventions is to recommend a vacation," James said. "I think the effect of the stress on physiology is truly underestimated."



Seriously? For a good ten minutes, all I could think of was, "Ugh." (in a real frustrated tone) You know, infertility issues aside, this is ludicrous. All the money in the world spent on a "Procreation Vacation" to the Bahamas, including famous love doctors and delicious aphrodisiacs won't force a crazy little thing like ovulation to happen during the three-day window. I wonder if they tell the couples to plan for that, give them a calendar, thermometer and an OPK before officially booking.


***UPDATE
I found it referenced online, too. Part of the expanded article:

"My husband and I thought that we would go on the vacation and learn all these nice fertility secrets and we'd be practicing them for a number of months for them to work," said Hughes, 35, who conceived the day she got back from the trip. "We were stunned. There's definitely some truths to the foods and the elixirs."

The couple had been trying for only two months, since their wedding in May. But like most couples they have hectic schedules in Washington, where she is a freelance writer and he is a city employee. Cell phones are always ringing, day planners are jammed. "We're all overscheduled," Hughes said.


Excuse me, I'm going to throw up. For the whole nauseating experience, here's the article.

6 comments:

BigP's Heather said...

Two whole months - Holy Cow, isn't that record or something. She must have had something SERIOUSLY wrong with her. So sad, not to get pregnant that first month. Poor thing. I guess no one gave her enough baby dust.

ms. c said...

Definately makes me want to barf! Also makes me question why the fuck I didn't get pregnant on our cruise in August. I mean, we had sex, we didn't use birth control, I was totally relaxed... Very interesting... we must have been doing something wrong. Afterall, there were no sex experts to consult.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Screw them! A

And, screw doctor's that that recommend vacations as therapeutic interventions. To me it is just sheer coincidence! I haven't taken a "Procreation Vacation," but I'm betting that wouldn't have done the trick for me or any of you other ladies who have suffered through IF. It is almost like it lessons our ordeal to have idiots saying "We were stunned. There's definitely some truths to the foods and the elixirs."

Again, SCREW THEM ALL!

Anonymous said...

Two whole months, well call the RE there's a problem. It's crap like that which makes people say things like just relax and go on vacation. If my body won't cooperate no amout of fruit drinks in an over priced hotel is going to work. Well I'm just steaming mad right now...two months...ba

M said...

Wow...if seagrass juice really works why the hell did I go through weeks of injections and painful tests? I should have just put on my bikini and lounged in the rays...
are you f-ing kidding me?? Another money making scheme that makes me ill

TeamWinks said...

2 months, lucky bastards! If I knew it was as easy as a vacation, I would have many many children by now!